Our web catalogue holds both available strains and archived strains.
Most of our strains are subcultured to order and most need 3-4 weeks to grow before being despatched, marine diatoms and dinoflagellates usually need around 2 weeks. Some strains are available the week following receipt of an order (depending on demand), these include our Aquaculture strains (see here for a list) and the following commonly ordered strains:
- CCAP 211/11B Chlorella vulgaris
- CCAP 211/12 Chlorella vulgaris fo. viridis
- CCAP 278/4 Raphidocelis subcapitata
- CCAP 276/20 Desmodesmus subspicatus
- CCAP 11/32A Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
- CCAP 1224/5Z Euglena gracilis
- CCAP 1055/1 Phaeodactylum tricornutum
- CCAP 1052/1A Phaeodactylum tricornutum
- CCAP 1630/1W Tetrahymena pyriformis
Strains that are cryopreserved, many of our small seaweeds (e.g. Ectocarpus) and some other slow growing cultures can take longer than 4 weeks, conversely strains can sometimes be ready sooner than the standard 3-4 weeks – please contact us with details of the genera/species you are interested in and we can advise.
We display archived strains as the data may be of interest, particularly for strains that had been in the Collection for many years. Strains are archived for several reasons, this will be noted in the strain data:
- the strain has died
- contamination or poor condition – pending reisolation or recovery
- uncertainty over strain identity – pending sequencing or further investigation
- new strains are archived until they are growing well in the Collection, or by request of the depositor (for up to a year post-deposit)
Media orders are prepared to order, the time needed to prepare media depends on the availability of our media technician. Most orders can be ready within 1-2 weeks of ordering. Contact us if you have particular requirements.